We are open from January to December so pack your bags and come on down. We are located in the famous isothermal climate region, known for temperate winters and cool summers. At 1,000 feet above sea level, we are not quite as high as the mountains in Asheville and thus offer milder mornings and warmer evenings. Our average temperature ranges from 50 to 85 degrees depending on the season. Click here for the full weather forecast!
Rutherford and Polk County have some great golf courses including Cleghorn, Bald Mountain, Apple Valley, and Bright’s Creek. Come visit us for a day, a week, or a month and we can set up your tee times from Asheville to Charlotte. If you are interested in some great sightseeing, we strongly recommend the following destinations:
Our affiliates, just minutes away, include:
- NEW! in 2016: Cleghorn Gun Club, minutes from our golf course, offers a sporting clays course with 15 stations (four traps per station) and a five-stand facility. Lessons and gun rentals are available. For information, 828-863-1435.
- Tryon International Equestrian Center, just 10 minutes from Cleghorn, features dressage, restaurants, and events for the whole family. Be sure to check out this world class venue!
- Lake Lure, famous for “Dirty Dancing” and “Last of the Mohicans.”
- Chimney Rock, site of our incredible state park with 50 mile vistas on a clear day.
- Defiant Whiskey distillery is just up the road and makes some pretty darn good whiskey. Go for a free tour with free samples included!
- Biltmore Estate, the country’s largest private home with vineyards and gardens to also marvel at.
- Blue Ridge Parkway, the most scenic drive in America with breathtaking views at every turn.
- Blowing Rock, surrounded by mountains and voted one of the prettiest small towns in America.
- Grandfather Mountain, at 6,000 feet, the highest peak in the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Triple Falls, DuPont State Forest, home to the prettiest waterfalls anywhere (and recently featured in “The Hunger Games”).
- Grove Park Inn, Asheville, with its classic Donald Ross golf course, world famous grotto spa and romantic Sunset
The Lodge on Lake Lure, located 20 miles from us, offers sweeping views of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lake Lure, or gardens and offers nearby shopping and tourist attractions.
There are also plenty of great hotels in our area we can recommend. Your accommodations can range from a charming room at the Firehouse Inn, a 7 room B&B, to a modern Holiday Inn Express with 63 rooms. Both are just minutes from Cleghorn.
If you are driving to Cleghorn Plantation, we are near US 40, US 26 and Highway 74. If you are flying in, we recommend Charlotte (CLT), Asheville (AVL) or Greenville, SC (GSP) airports with Charlotte having the highest frequency and lowest fares. If you are coming or going to Florida, you might also check out Allegiant Air which offers $100 fares nonstop to major cities like Orlando, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale, etc.
If you have a private plane, you can also fly into Rutherford Municipal Airport (FQD) which has a modern 5,000 ft runway with instrument approaches, good fuel prices and service. You can also rent an Enterprise Car for your stay.
Rutherford County and Western North Carolina offer so much to do and see. We can help you plan your trip down to the last detail so you can enjoy your golf and touring without any stress. Please contact the Pro Shop for more information and reservations.